Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Jump right in!

Hey, don't be bashful. I see from the stats on the blog that people are reading. Let me know what you think so far. I won't get all bent out of shape if you tell me that I am full of it.

I am going to start getting into the individual components next. This blog is really a way to keep me working on the plan. As long as I make a little bit of progress each day, I will finish it. When I built my last boat, that is the approach I took. There were not that many pieces in it. If I went out and cut out just one piece a day, I kept the momentum going and finished it. I know that this will be the same way. It will just take a little longer because I have the planning to do as well. On the boat, I was following someone else's plan, so that was done for me.

2 comments:

  1. I am curious on the software you are going to use .Keep it up , will be following :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to start out with EMC2 but also try Mach. The real thing I am optimistic about is the SketchUp! plugin that they guys over at Phlatboyz.com are developing. They have it working to generate G-Code.

    Once I have a working system, I will also see about doing some programming manually. Tool path optimization is an interesting problem. It is hard to come up with optimal paths, or even just a "good enough" path for that matter. It doesn't really help that much to have really fast rapid motion positioning. In an ideal sense, if the machine is not cutting, you are wasting time. If you can position your cutter quickly and waste less time it is better than nothing. What you really want is to sort out the plan so you are not spending time just watching the head move back and forth.

    ReplyDelete