Thursday, January 13, 2011

Bringing CNC Router Tables Out of the Dark Ages

The modern design of CNC routers is like looking back in time to the Stone Age. Take a look at the current designs. Out of all the possibilities for structural design, they have generally selected the absolute worst possible choices of putting together a structure short of just stacking the pieces together and wrapping them with bailing wire and duck tape.

What I am in the process of doing is to design a CNC router for myself that brings in at least a couple of the improvements in engineering that have come about in the last few thousand years. I know that it will not be perfect but, I do know that it will be better than what is currently available. It would be hard to make it worse.

As I develop the design, I will take it in the same order as the building. At present I am going to build two units. One will be a small scale model before I progress to the full size machine. I am starting this a bit late as some of the design is already set which I will cover shortly. The main constraints I am under are budgetary and availability of materials. I am building this for fun and I don't plan on just throwing huge amounts of money at it. I am going to use features that fulfill their purpose and not just do something because all the other designs do it.

At present, I am going to focus on building a machine that will use a router spindle but I am leaving open in the possibility of 3D printing with ABS or other plastics. That will probably be the better use for the first prototype. I really don't need two machines.

No comments:

Post a Comment